|Dr Jonathan Pritchard
Department of Physics
University of Strathclyde
107 Rottenrow East
Glasgow G4 0NG
Office: John Anderson 3.08d
Phone: (+44) 141 548 5813
Fax: (+44) 141 552 2891
Following my undergraduate at Nottingham University, I did my PhD at Durham University in the group of Charles Adams where I demonstrated a strong cooperative optical non-linearity arising from dipole-dipole interactions between Rydberg atoms, using electromagnetically induced transparency to convert the strong atomic interactions onto the optical field to generate large single photon non-linearities, for which I was awarded the Springer Thesis Prize. I then spent two years as a post-doc at Strathclyde, working on the inductive ring trap and building the new BEC apparatus, before moving to the University of Wisconsin in 2013 where I worked on an experiment in collaboration with Mark Saffman and Robert McDermott to develop a hybrid quantum memory for superconducting qubits.
I returned to Strathclyde as an EPSRC Quantum Technology Research Fellow to develop hybrid quantum technologies exploiting atoms coupled to superconducting circuits in order to build devices capable of storing, generating and entangling single photons for quantum networking applications.
I am currently leading an EPSRC Prosperity Partnership with M Squared Lasers called SQuAre: Scalable Qubit Arrays for Quantum Computation and Optimisation to develop a new platform for computing based on arrayd of neutral atoms.
I have funded PhD positions available so please contact me if you are interested.
- High-fidelity multiqubit Rydberg gates via two-photon adiabatic rapid passage
G. Pelegri, A. Daley and J.D. Pritchard
- Strong coupling and active cooling in a finite temperature hybrid atom-cavity system
L.F. Keary and J.D. Pritchard
Phys. Rev. A 105, 013707 (2022).[arXiv]
- A practical compact source of heralded single photons for simple detection LIDAR
M. Mrozowski, J.Jeffers and J.D. Pritchard
Proc. SPIE 11835, Quantum Communications and Quantum Imaging XIX, 1183508 (2021)
- Theoretical comparison of quantum and classical illumination for simple detection-based LIDAR
R. Murchie, J.D. Pritchard and J. Jeffers
Proc. SPIE 11835, Quantum Communications and Quantum Imaging XIX, 118350G (2021)
- Optimal State Choice for Rydberg Atom Microwave Sensors
A. Chopinaud and J.D. Pritchard
Phys. Rev. Appl. 16, 024008 (2021)
- Hybrid quantum devices: Guest editorial
Y. Chu, J.D. Pritchard, H. Wang and Martin Weides
Appl. Phys. Lett. 118, 240401 (2021)
- Gaussian State-Based Quantum Illumination with simple photodetection
H. Yang, Adams, W. Roga, J.D. Pritchard and J. Jeffers
Optics Express 29 8199 (2021) [arXiv].
- Rydberg atom quantum technologies
C.S. Adams, J.D. Pritchard and J. Shaffer
J. Phys. B 53 012002 (2020) [arXiv].
- Entanglement of neutral-atom qubits with long ground-Rydberg coherence times
C.J. Picken, R. Legaie, K. McDonnell and J.D. Pritchard
Quantum Sci. Technol. 4, 015011 (2018) [arXiv].
- Free-induction-decay magnetometer based on a micro-fabricated Cs vapour cell
D. Hunter, S. Piccolomo, J. D. Pritchard, N. L. Brockie, T. E. Dyer, and E. Riis
Phys. Rev. Appl. 10, 014002 (2018).
- Sub-kHz excitation lasers for Quantum Information Processing with Rydberg atoms
R. Legaie, C.J. Picken and J.D. Pritchard
J. Opt. Soc. B 35, 892 (2018).
- Detection of Applied and Ambient Forces with a Matterwave Magnetic-Gradiometer
B. I. Robertson, A. R. MacKellar, J. Halket, A. Gribbon, J. D. Pritchard, A. S. Arnold, E. Riis, and P. F. Griffin
Phys. Rev. A 96, 053622 (2017).
- Single atom imaging with an sCMOS camera
C.J. Picken, R. Legaie, & J.D. Pritchard
Applied Physics Letters 111, 164102 (2017).
- ARC: An open-source library for calculating properties of alkali Rydberg atoms
N. Šibalić, J.D. Pritchard, C.S. Adams and K.J. Weatherill,
Computer Physics Communications 220, 319 (2017). See atomcalc.jqc.org.uk.
- Optimized Coplanar Waveguide Resonators for a Superconductor-Atom Interface
M. A. Beck, J. A. Isaacs, D. Booth, J. D. Pritchard, M. Saffman and R. McDermott
App. Phys. Lett. 109, 092602 (2016)
- Versatile objective lenses for single atom trapping and imaging
J. D. Pritchard, J. A. Isaacs and M. Saffman
Rev. Sci. Instrum. 87, 073107 (2016)
- Measurement of Holmium Rydberg series through MOT depletion spectroscopy
J. Hostetter, J. D. Pritchard, J. E. Lawler and M. Saffman
Phys. Rev. A 91, 012507 (2015)
- Hybrid atom-photon quantum gate in a superconducting microwave resonator
J. D. Pritchard, J. A. Isaacs, M. A. Beck, R. McDermott and M. Saffman
Phys. Rev. A 89, 010301(R) (2014)
- Microwave control of the interaction between two optical photons
D. T. Maxwell, D. J. Szwer, D. P. Barato, H. Busche, J. D. Pritchard, A. Gauguet, M. P. A. Jones and C. S. Adams
Phys. Rev. A 110, 043827 (2014)
- Storage and Control of Optical Photons Using Rydberg Polaritons
D. T. Maxwell, D. J. Szwer, D. P. Barato, H. Busche, J. D. Pritchard, A. Gauguet, K. J. Weatherill, M. P. A. Jones and C. S. Adams
Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 103001 (2013)
- Non-linear optics using cold Rydberg atoms
J. D. Pritchard, K. J. Weatherill and C. S. Adams
Annual Review of Cold Atoms and Molecules 1, 301 (2013)
- Demonstration of an inductively coupled ring trap for cold atoms
J. D. Pritchard, A. N. Dinkelaker, A. S. Arnold, P. F. Griffin and E. Riis
New J. Phys. 14, 103047 (2012)
- Fractional photon-assisted tunnelling of ultra-cold atoms in periodically shaken double-well lattices
M. Esmann, J. D. Pritchard and C. Weiss
Laser Phys. Lett. 9, 160 (2012)
- Correlated photon emission from multi-atom Rydberg dark states
J. D. Pritchard, C. S. Adams and K. Mølmer
Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 043601 (2012)
- Optical non-linearity in a dynamical Rydberg gas
J. D. Pritchard, A. Gauguet, K. J. Weatherill and C. S. Adams
J. Phys. B 44, 184019 (2011)
- Quantum interference in three-level Rydberg gases: Coherent Population Trapping and Electromagnetically Induced Transparency
S. Sevinçli, C. Ates, T. Pohl, H. Schempp, C. S. Hofmann, G. Günter, T. Amthor, M. Weidemüller, J. D. Pritchard, D. Maxwell, A. Gauguet, K. J. Weatherill, M. P. A. Jones and C. S. Adams
J. Phys. B 44, 184018 (2011)
- Microwave dressing of Rydberg dark states
M. Tanasittikosol, J. D. Pritchard, D. Maxwell, A. Gauguet, K. J. Weatherill, R. M. Potvliege and C. S. Adams
J. Phys. B 44, 184020 (2011)
- Cooperative Atom-Light Interaction in a Blockaded Rydberg Ensemble
J. D. Pritchard, D. Maxwell, A. Gauguet, K. J. Weatherill, M. P. A. Jones, and C. S. Adams
Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 193603 (2010)
- Laser frequency stabilization to excited state transitions using electromagnetically induced transparency in a cascade system
R. P. Abel, A. K. Mohapatra, M. G. Bason, J. D. Pritchard, K. J. Weatherill, U. Raitzsch and C. S. Adams
Appl. Phys. Lett. 94, 071107 (2009)
- A versatile and reliably reusable ultrahigh vacuum viewport
K. J. Weatherill, J. D. Pritchard, P. F. Griffin, U. Dammalapati, C. S. Adams and E. Riis
Rev. Sci. Inst. 80, 026105 (2009).
- Monitoring hydraulic processes with Automated time-Lapse Electrical Resistivity Tomography (ALERT)
O. Kuras, J. D. Pritchard, P. I. Meldrum, J. E. Chambers, P. B. Wilkinson, R. D. Ogilvy and G. P. Wealthall
Comptes Rendus Geosciences 341, 868 (2009)
- Electromagnetically induced transparency of an interacting cold Rydberg ensemble
K. J. Weatherill, J. D. Pritchard, R. P. Abel, M. G. Bason, A. K. Mohapatra and C. S. Adams
J. Phys. B 41, 201002 (2008).