Vertical-external-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VECSELs) combine semiconductor gain media with cavity design as it is typical for solid-state lasers. Hence, they are also referred to as semiconductor disk lasers (SDL). They are extremely versatile and potentially high power devices with excellent beam quality (brightness converters). Experiments concerned
- mode-locking of VECSELs at low repetition rates as required in biophotonics by synchronous pumping,
- in-well pumping of VECSELs.
News and esteem
- Invited talk: Extending the wavelength coverage of VECSELs.
Advanced Semiconductor Material Workshop, Tucson, AZ, February 20-21, 2008.
- Invited talk: Vertical-cavity external surface-emitting lasers – An overview and specific aspects.
Coherent Engineering Seminar, Coherent Inc., Santa Clara, CA, USA, Aug 12, 2011.
- C. Bueckers, E. Kuehn, C. Schlichenmaier, S. Imhof, A. Thraenhardt, J. Hader, J. V. Moloney, O. Rubel, Wei Zhang, T. Ackemann, and S. W. Koch.
Quantum modelling of semiconductor gain materials and vertical-external-cavity surface-emitting laser systems.
Phys. stat. sol. (b) 247, 789 (2010)
- Wei Zhang, A. McDonald, T. Ackemann, E. Riis, G. McConnell.
Femtosecond synchronously in-well pumped vertical-external-cavity surface-emitting laser.
Opt. Exp. 18, 187 (2010)
- Wei Zhang, T. Ackemann, S. McGinily, M. Schmid, E. Riis, A. I. Ferguson.
Operation of an optical in-well-pumped vertical-external-cavity surface-emitting laser.
Appl. Opt. 45, 7729 (2006)
- Wei Zhang, T. Ackemann, M. Schmid, N. Langford, A. I. Ferguson.
Femtosecond Synchronously Mode-locked Vertical-External Cavity Surface-Emitting Laser.
Opt. Exp. 14, 1810 (2006)